DEPARTMENT: Health Information Management
REPORTS TO: Health Information Management Director
JOB STATUS: Full Time, Permanent, Non-Exempt
OPEN DATE: 10/26/2023
CLOSE DATE: Until Filled
The Medical Record Technician is located in the Health Information Management department. The purpose of this position is to perform technical work involving processing and maintaining the health record, processing the release of information requests, scanning documents into the health record, and archiving hard copy health records in support of the Health Information Management department. The technician function provides the primary source for health record access for the care and treatment of the patient.
This position is responsible for ensuring that the health record is accurate and complete. This position performs duties in a hybrid health record environment and holds patient care and patient rights as the highest priorities, while providing essential health record services in a manner consistent with sound medico-legal and records management principles.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Compiles, processes, and maintains health records in a manner consistent with medical, administrative, ethical, legal and regulatory requirements of the health care system.
Prepares health records in accordance with health information management policies and procedures.
Processes incoming health records for scanning and ensures the health information is up to date.
Prepares deceased, inactive, and paper health records for archiving.
Maintains health records in accordance with health information principles.
Protects the health records so that confidentiality is maintained.
Conducts quality audits to verify the integrity and overall quality of scanned images.
Prepares deceased and inactive health records for archiving by adhering to Indian Health Service disposition schedule.
Processes routine requests for the release of information (ROI) that present in person, mail, fax and/or phone while ensuring identification and authorization before release.
Ensures rules and regulations of the Privacy Act of 1974, the HIPAA Privacy Rule and HITECH are adhered to.
Maintains log for release of information in accordance with the HIPAA Privacy Rule.
Maintains health information exchange with the Indian Health Service, tribal/urban facilities, hospitals, and other healthcare professionals for continuity of care.
Other duties as assigned to maintain and enhance the operation of the department.
High School Diploma or GED.
General understanding of Health Information concepts.
Knowledge of health record documentation guidelines and processes for disclosing protected health information.
Knowledge of policies, procedures, laws, and regulations governing privacy and release of information.
Ability to communicate with individuals from various backgrounds to obtain desired effect or gain information by establishing rapport.
Must be able to pass a criminal background check under the Indian Child Protection Act and Family Act (P.L.101-630).
Competitive wages (no state or local tax)
18 different medical insurance packages
Dental and vision insurance
Retirement plan with 4% match
IMPORTANT APPLICATION CRITERIA:
- Submit a complete application with supporting documents either online or to WRFCHC Human Resource Department located at 120 North 6th East St (Old DFS Bldg.), Riverton WY. Applicants must submit all supporting documents to be eligible for the position they are applying for.
- Supporting documents: Driver’s License, Tribal ID, High School Diploma/GED, Degree or professional credentials, and other supporting documents that verify required qualifications.
- Applicants not living in the local area may submit a cover letter, resume, and supporting documents in lieu of an application as an initial statement of interest for a particular job announcement. However, the applicant must follow-up with an official Wind River Family and Community Health Care job application.
- Applicants who have a current application on file are required to submit a letter of interest for each position in which they want to be considered for. The letter should address how they meet each qualification. Supporting documents must be attached to the letter of interest.
- Telephone calls are not accepted in place of an employment application or letter of interest.
- When the position qualifications require a driver’s license, education, or professional credentials, the applicant must submit copies of certificates, licenses, degrees, and other supporting documentation. Applicants who do not provide supporting documents will be disqualified.
- WRFCHC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Preference will be given to a qualified tribal member, then a qualified tribal member of a federally recognized tribe and then other qualified candidates.
- Qualified Indian Preference applicants must provide a copy of their tribal enrollment identification card or a Certificate of Indian Blood.
- Background investigation, drug and alcohol screening are required as a condition of employment. Refusal will render the applicant ineligible for employment.
For information or questions, please contact Human Resources at 307-856-9281 ext. 367.